Date:      Tue, 02 Nov 1999 21:38:54 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GENERIC build broken

> :>     Huh?  And replace it with what?  BOOTP is the only way to get an NFS
> :>     root and swap.
> :
> :No; that's what the loader is for.  The kernel shouldn't be doing any
> :application-level snot like BOOTP at all.
> :
> :The same work was previously done by netboot; putting bootp into the
> :kernel was _always_ the wrong idea.
>
>     Great in theory, but unless someone is actually willing to do the
>     great deal of work required to support this we're stuck with BOOTP
>     in the kernel.

Er, hello?  It's _already_been_done_, even.  See above inre: netboot.

>     Even if you were to do this most of the junk in the
>     kernel to actually do the mounts would have to stick around.  Frankly,
>     I don't think it's such a big deal to leave it in the kernel, you
>     wouldn't actually be cleaning much up by moving it out.

It's pointless duplicating it in the kernel when the code that's loaded
the kernel has already done it.  Nuking it from the kernel has several
benefits:

 - the bootp code in the kernel has rotted, and is quite ugly.
 - it removes one more confusing option.
 - it's redundant.

The code for performing the actual NFS root mount is tiny compared to
the bootp and ifconfig code.