Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 11:40:58 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        "David S. Geirsson" <andmann@andmann.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Password database.

"David S. Geirsson" wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I originally installed my machine using FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE, later CVSupped to
> 4.3-STABLE. Now, I just found out that I can log in using just the first 8
> characters of my [32-character] password. Seeing as thought this does not happen
> with a friend's machine (which is also 4.3-STABLE), I would guess this is
> something that changed between 4.2-RELEASE and 4.3-RELEASE (as this is what he
> CVSupped from). Now, what I was wondering, how do I rebuild my password file to
> use the new system?

Enter a different new password.

BTW: DES will always use only the first eight characters off any
password. To use more characters, you have to use MD5 encrypted
passwords. Anyhow, DES encrypted passwords are standard on all unix
systems, thus passwd files with DES encryption tend do be portable.

HTH
-Christoph Sold