Date:      Fri, 09 Nov 2007 14:43:27 +0000
From:      Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>
To:        OutbackDingo <outbackdingo@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Ian FREISLICH <ianf@clue.co.za>, "Aryeh M. Friedman" <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: questions on development(7)

--=-Gt12PG58YM+6X02s0p4k

On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 21:49 +0800, OutbackDingo wrote:
> well thats kinda hard to do with CVS, though other revision systems such
> as mercurial, bazaar, git and perforce, even subversion do it well,
> there is also a mercurial respository for FreeBSD out there some where
>=20

> > > You won't be able to commit to the BSD repo from your server.  I
> > > think you should treat your repo as read only and use cvsup to keep
> > > it up to date.  At least that's what I do.
> >=20
> > What I meant was how do I keep from clobbering my local changes?
> >=20
>=20

(Nothing like top posting to destroy the thread flow)

OutbackDingo is incorrect. That is the entire purpose of CVS, otherwise
they might as well call it VS..

Your /usr/src will be a checkout of a particular branch of freebsd
(called a working copy). You periodically update your cvs repository
(where you checkout from) with the latest freebsd commits.=20
When you wish to, you update your working copy from your repository by
issuing a 'cvs up'. This merges changes in the repository into your
local copy, merging in with the local changes.
When you want to see what has changed since you last did a 'cvs up',
issue a 'cvs -n up'.
When you want to see the local modifications in your working copy, issue
a 'cvs diff'.

Read the cvs red-bean book for more info.
http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/cvsbook.html

HTH

Tom

--=-Gt12PG58YM+6X02s0p4k