Date:      Fri, 9 May 2003 12:39:22 -0400
From:      Paul Lathrop <plathrop@mqtweb.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Simple / Stupid File Permissions Question

I have a simple/stupid question regarding permissions.

What I would like is the following: I have a directory called group_dir
that I would like all members of a group to be able to work in.
However, I find that whenever someone creates a file in that directory,
it is not set group writable. I know the user's umask setting affects
this, but I don't want to change that - then ALL their files would come
out group writable. Basically, I want all files in group_dir to be
readable and writable by group members by default, including newly
created files. Is there a way to do this? I thought up a kludge to use
cron to periodically run chmod -R... but that is so ugly I don't really
want to do it that way.

Thanks for your assistance,

Paul D. Lathrop