Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 16:19:42 -0800
From:      Michael O'Henly <michael@tenzo.com>
To:        Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Kde-2.1 on XFree86-4 fails

I'm a Linux user who's considering using FreeBSD as a desktop OS. At the
moment I'm just reading and trying to soak up basic information, but I'll be
installing FreeBSD in a dual-boot system over the next few days.

With that in mind, can you tell me how problems like this one (KDE 2.1 vs.
XFree86-4) get resolved?

Is KDE ported to FreeBSD? Or does the original source compile under BSD?

If the latter, do you get much support from the KDE team?

And if you don't, are there programmers in the FreeBSD community who could
tackle a problem like this and feed the resolution back into the main KDE
source tree?

Thanks.

M.

On Thursday 22 March 2001 13:18, trini0 wrote:
> Its kde2.1 and a known bug with the BSDs.  It not even worth the time in
> my opinion.  I went all the way back to kde 1.2.  Works great with XFree
> 4.0.2....:)
>
> Fabio Andres Miranda wrote:
> > Hello, I installed kde-2.1 from ports, on a FreeBSD-4.3-beta server,
> > and,
> > when kde starts, it stops in "checking devices" with the following msg
> > in the console:
> >
> > DCOP: register 'anonymous-344' -> number of clients is now 4
> > QMutex::unlock: mutex unlock failure: Invalid argument
> > DCOP:  unregister 'anonymous-344'
> > DCOP: number of clients is now down to 3
> > kdeinit: PID 344 terminated.
> > kcminit: Initializing libkcm_input: init_keyboard
> > kdecore (KLibLoader): closing library libkcm_input
> > kdecore (KLibLoader): Deleting KLibrary 0x80bc880  libkcm_input
> > kcminit: Initializing libkcm_access: init_access
> > kdecore (KLibLoader): closing library libkcm_access
> > kdecore (KLibLoader): Deleting KLibrary 0x80bc900  libkcm_access
> > kcminit: Initializing libkcm_style: init_style
> > Error while initializing the sound driver:
> > device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such file or directory)
> > kdeinit: PID 343 terminated.
> >
> > anyone know what's happening?
> >
> >  I'm using XFree86-4 with a cirrus logic gd5480 (2MB), without sound.
> >
> > thanks,

Michael O'Henly
TENZO Design