Date:      Sun, 09 Mar 1997 21:41:40 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@dimaga.com>
To:        Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby), chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CNET announces InterJet...

At 11:05 PM 3/7/97 -0700, Wes Peters wrote:
>Jake Hamby writes:
>> This is my one (and only) complaint with the InterJet, that it tries to
>> shield  the users from UNIX to the extent that it's not CAPABLE of
adding in
>> functionality like CGI scripts.  For basic use, however, I'll agree that
>> it's way cool for using FreeBSD.
>
>How 'bout the fact that it costs $2000, and you can do the same yourself
>with a $500 machine and FreeBSD?

I tried configuring the minimum of a machine I could purchase (P5 133,
subtract keyboard, monitor, RAM, graphics card, but add UPS, cheapest net
card, and modem) at www.gateway2000.com, as an example of what kind of
configuration you can easily get hold of today to run such an application.
$1245,- (I tried Dell, too - a bit more expensive, but in the same range)
So you'd probably end up paying about $1000,- for hardware, as both offers
included irrelevant software.

I'd guess[1] configuring such a system to be usable (doing all
administrative tasks 'by hand' thereafter) would take me between 1 and 3
days, depending on sophistication wished.  Internally, that would cost
between $350 and $1000. (I cost my company approx $40/hour).  If employed
as a consultant at my standard rates, it would cost between $1200 and $4000.

I'd say the Whistle InterJet 2000 is a good deal.

[1] I'm known to be wildly off in my time estimates, in both directions.

Eivind Eklund perhaps@yes.no http://maybe.yes.no/perhaps/ eivind@freebsd.org