Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 00:15:20 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Dave Howland <shadow@KIWI-Computer.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Moused doesn't reinitialize mouse after removal and reinsertion...

In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0011142010480.44097-100000@megan.kiwi-computer.com> Dave Howland writes:
: pain, albeit not completely unbearable. Anyone have any theories on how we
: could get moused to a) detect the mouse being unplugged and reinserted and
: b) reinitialize the mouse after this happens? Here's some fun info type
: stuff (in case it'll help)...

With all due respect, pay the extra money for the electric switch.
You will burn out your keyboard and mouse ports if you aren't
careful.  They aren't designed for this sort of hot plugging.

I used to think it was OK to do this, but I've had too many keyboard
and/or mouse controllers die of the years connected to a mechanical
switch to really trust them.

Warner