Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 10:46:52 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: wd driver will be retired!

On 1999-Dec-12 05:54:12 +1100, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> wrote:
>On Friday, 10 December 1999 at 19:01:49 +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>> The ata driver has been available for you and other to test for a long
>> time.
>
>Oh.  Somehow I missed this.  Sure, I saw commits, but I can't recall a
>"HEADS UP: ata is good enough for general testing now".  If I had done
>so, I might have changed months ago, and a lot of this principle
>discussion would be deferred to the next night of the long axes.

I don't recall anything like this either.  I _do_ remember all the
commit messages stating 'this driver can hose your disk real bad'
which tended to disuade me from experimenting in the early days.
(None of my systems are `scratch boxes' to the extent that I can
afford for the disk contents to be scrambled regularly).

Checking back though the commit logs, the last commit that explicitly
included the 'As usual USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!, this is still alpha
level code' comment was on 21st September.  There's nothing in the
logs explicitly stating that the code is now `beta', `pre-production'
or `production' quality.

Peter