Date:      Sun, 26 Jul 1998 22:09:56 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        ckempf@enigami.com (Cory Kempf)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SANE+CAM works...

Cory Kempf wrote...
> Well, perhaps that is a bit of an overstatement.
>
> How about 'I have successfully scanned in an image from my SCSI scanner
> using CAM'?

	Good deal.

> Anyway, there are a couple of minor warts that need ironing (see my
> last post), and I need to do some testing, and then pass my changes
> off to the SANE folk, but...

	One thing you might want to do, instead of using cam_open_device()
is to use cam_open_spec_device().  cam_open_device() takes the string it is
given and attempts to parse out a device name and unit number to use in
looking up the passthrough device.  cam_open_spec_device() opens the
passthrough device for a particular device without any string bashing or
guessing.  So you'd do something like this, if there's no peripheral driver
to attach to the scanner:

dev = cam_open_spec_device("pass", 4, O_RDWR, NULL);

> So... NOW can we merge CAM into the main line?  Pretty Please?

	Not yet.  We still don't have enough controller support, and we're
missing one or two peripheral drivers as well.  (not that they're a real
big deal.  The major thing is controller support.)

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com