Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2000 16:31:17 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@hades.hell.gr>
To:        Klaus Brunner <k.brunner@acm.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfilter on 3.4-STABLE: "File exists"

On Fri, Jan 21, 2000 at 06:51:43PM +0100, Klaus Brunner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to get ipfilter (plus ipnat) to work on my 3.4-STABLE box
> (fresh cvsup today, kernel options IPFILTER and IPFILTER_LOG). The
> ipfilter comes up and gives me an "initialized, default = pass all,
> logging = enabled" message. ipnat gets initialized and works fine.
>
> However, as soon as I try to add ANY rule using ipf, I get a "File
> exists" message.
>
> Example (trying to enter a simple rule from stdin):
>
> root@winf# ipf -f -
> pass in all
> ^D
> ioctl(SIOCADDFR): File exists

This probably means that you have a rule that resembles this in your filters
already.  See below:

    # ipfstat -nio
    @2 pass in from any to any
    ^C
    # ipf -f -
    pass in all
    ioctl(SIOCADDFR): File exists
    # ipf -FA
    ipf -f -
    pass in all
    ^D

Obviously the `pass in all' and `pass in from any to any' rules are the
same thing, and that's why I get a "File exists" error message.  After
I clear the rules list with ipf, I can use this rule again because no
equivalent exists.

Look again in your rules for little mistakes like this one.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
"Don't let your schooling interfere with your education." [Mark Twain]