Date:      Mon, 9 Sep 1996 14:20:17 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <Mark.Ovens@uk.radan.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD & parallel ports

	I have found a very weird problem on my PC concerning the parallel port (LPT1).

	I have Windows95, OS/2 Warp, and FreeBSD2.1 on my machine and have recently installed my company's CADCAM software (we are a software house) under W95. As is common with PC's this is protected by a dongle on the parallel port

	I can use W95 & Warp without any problems, but if I boot FreeBSD and then boot W95 then the dongle detect program reports the dongle cannot be found. This occurs even if I power-cycle the PC between BSD & W95!

	Sometimes several power-cycles will cure the problem, but the only guaranteed way I have found to reset the port is to boot DOS & run Norton's Diagnostics on the port with a loop-back plug attatched, then power-cycle, & boot W95.

	I know it is the port not the dongle that is the problem as it occurs even if I remove the dongle prior to booting BSD.

	What is really weird is that the problem survives power-cycling.

	Can anyone tell me what is going on here? and povide a solution.

	The port is on a basic IDE card based on a UMC chipset.

	Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

	Mark	(marko@uk.radan.com)