Date:      Thu, 08 Feb 2001 23:48:00 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        JOHN MUELLER <asjwm2@uaa.alaska.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: basics

--Nq2Wo0NMKNjxTN9z

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 10:44:37PM -0800, JOHN MUELLER wrote:
>     Dear freebsd,
>=20
>    I couldn't partition my drives so I got "Partition Magic" ( a=20
> software ) which is OK.My version of free bsd  has purple lettering on 4=
=20
> cdroms and says June 1999.  Partition Magic does not list freebsd on the=
=20
> types of operating systems it knows about.  What kind of partition=20
> should I make for free bsd ?  What kind of  FAT ?  Does it need a "swap"=
=20
> extension like Linux ?  I have a cautious streak that gets worse every=20
> time I install another operating system ( I have 5 now ).  Thank you,=20

You don't need to create the partition, you use Partition Magiv to
make space for a FreeBSD partition by resizing any existing FAT
partitions to make room. So you may not need to do this if you already
have space. The FreeBSD installer does the job of creating the FreeBSD
partition.

> but one last question... I got this HP Colorado tape drive for back up. =
=20
> Do you have any idea if: it looks for data already backed up and skips=20
> it, just adding on new data ?

I'm not really sure what the question is, but this is a function of
the backup software you use, not the tape drive hardware. A tape is
just a mass storage device which you have to access sequentially. But
in answer to (my interpretation of) the question, most backup software
will let you perform incremental backups, only backing up the files
which have changed since the last backup.

Kris

--Nq2Wo0NMKNjxTN9z

--Nq2Wo0NMKNjxTN9z--