Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 2002 15:56:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bsd Neophyte <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
To:        Derrick Ryalls <ryallsd@datasphereweb.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD

--- Derrick Ryalls <ryallsd@datasphereweb.com> wrote:
> I don't want to start a Linux/FreeBSD flamewar, but I do need some info
>
> I have an associate who will be making major changes to their network
> and want my help/advice.  He intends to have a something like this:
>
>                                     ----Web server (Public IP)
> inet -----  router( Public IP) --- /
>                                    \____DMZ (Private IPs)
>

> The DMZ will house his mail, misc. servers and workstations.
>
> They might use some CISCO equipment for the router but it would limit
> them to 10mbs, and he would rather have 100mps.
>
> His first thought besides CISCO was Linux, as some of his clients use
> Linux and it is a good idea to use what your clients use.  I have almost
> zero experience with Linux, but I am a FreeBSD fan, so naturally, I
> recommended it to him.  I tried to give him some of the
> benefits/hinderances to using either, but I am not well enough versed in
> Linux to give good data.
>
> I was hoping someone on this list might have real data/reasons to use
> one or the other.  Valid concerns are: security, compatibility,
> stability, flexibility, support, etc.
>
> Some concerns I have with Linux are the variety of distros available for
> Linux, even if clients are using it, which ones are they using, etc.
> Also, I am naturally biased to FreeBSD because I have used it for quite
> a while.

i feel i have to be the voice of disent here.  personally i feel that a
router is made to route packets, if cost is an issue then go with a
FreeBSD box, but if you can spend a few dollars, get something that was
designed to route packets.

first of all your concern with the cisco's routers are unfounded.

your friend can get a 2620 which has 1 100bT port and a 2621 which has
two.  Cisco routers are not limited to 10bT connections.  even 1700-series
routers allow have 100bT ports.  you'll find some decent deals on ebay,
and cisco support is second to none.

as for your DMZ... i doubt you'd want to expose your private network to
the public.  you'd be better off opening the standard ports for whatever
services you need than allowing unresticted access to your internal network.