Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 2002 09:25:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      "W. Campbell" <wcampbel@botbay.net>
To:        "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: lib crypt/descrypt/scrypt

On Sat, 23 Mar 2002, Crist J. Clark wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 11:14:47AM -0500, W. Campbell wrote:
> > When did a single libcrypt replace the separate libdescrypt and
> > libscrypt libraries in -STABLE?
>
> FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE i386 Release Notes
> .
> .
> .
>   libcrypt and libdescrypt have been unified to provide
>   a configurable password authentication hash library. Both
>   the md5 and des hash methods are provided unless the des
>   hash is specifically compiled out.

Thanks

> > My reason for asking...
> >
> > I've been having some odd errors[1] when profiling, and finally
> > traced it down to a stale libdescrypt.so.2 library remaining in
> > /usr/lib.
> >
> > Is there any harm in removing the descrypt and scrypt libraries,
>
> Nothing in the FreeBSD system should care. No way to tell if you have
> third party software that might care, but it is not likely.

ircd can sometimes care, but I recompiled all mine with straight
libcrypt.

> > and
> > can there be something in UPDATING letting others know that these
> > libraries changed and may need to be removed?
>
> This is the first time I've heard of any problems with having the old
> ones lying around.

This is the first time I had problems and noticed issues with the
stale libs.

> > [1]
> > wcampbel@botbay (Stats): bin/mkpasswd
> > /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/lib/libcrypt.so.2: Undefined symbol
> > "_CurrentRuneLocale"
>
> What is mkpasswd?

ircd's wrapper around crypt(), used to generate encrypted passwords
for the conf file.

profiling ircd and anything else that has a configure script looking
for -ldescrypt prior to -lcrypt causes the same error with stale
libraries present.