Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 10:24:31 -0500
From:      Richard J Kuhns <rjk@grauel.com>
To:        Norbert Koch <nk@LF.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: downgrade

Norbert Koch writes:

 > Hi!
 >
 > Is it possible to downgrade a machine from -current to -stable?

Yes, it's possible, but if you've got much on your system I don't think
it's worth it. I (almost) did it a couple of months ago.  It's not for the
faint of heart.  One thing that you've got to keep in mind is the bump in
shared library versions; you'll probably have to reinstall anything you
built yourself or via the ports system, and make sure you've removed the
-current libraries (with the higher version numbers) first.

After I'd spent most of a day deinstalling and reinstalling various ports,
I decided it would be a lot safer and easier to just do a binary-only
install from the CD, check out the latest -stable sources, and upgrade that
way.  If you were tracking -current before, you've got a local copy of the
repository, right :-)?

That's a good argument for multiple partitions, by the way.  Since I have a
partition for projects, one for src (both FreeBSD and
/usr/ports/distfiles), and one for my mp3s I just told sysinstall to newfs
/, /usr and /var but leave /home and all the rest alone.
--
Richard Kuhns			rjk@grauel.com
PO Box 6249			Tel: (765)477-6000 \