Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 1996 17:02:59 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>, Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de (Christoph P. Kukulies), freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gzipped executables

> > If this is the case, why did it used to work on Pentium processors?
>
> It also ignores the fact that it also fails on my 486/DX2.. :-)

Sorry, just to clarify what I meant here since I can see how Terry
would read the above and say "say what?!  I was saying that it only
failed on *Pentium* processors due to their differing cache
architecture!  I never said *anything* about the 486!"  I expressed my
point poorly.

What I *meant* to say was that it used to work on all the Intel
processor types then began failing on all of them at the same time,
from the 486 to the Pentium.  This doesn't lead me to believe that the
failure is related to any particular processor or cache architecture
so much as it is a simple bug which has crept in and whacked the gzip
emulator.

					Jordan