Date:      Sun, 03 Feb 2013 21:52:10 -0600
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@missouri.edu>
To:        pfg@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-numerics@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-standards@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: standards/175811: libstdc++ needs complex support in order use C99

On 02/03/2013 09:28 PM, pfg@FreeBSD.org wrote:
> Synopsis: libstdc++ needs complex support in order use C99
>
> Responsible-Changed-From-To: freebsd-standards->freebsd-numerics
> Responsible-Changed-By: pfg
> Responsible-Changed-When: Mon Feb 4 03:26:48 UTC 2013
> Responsible-Changed-Why:
> Re-assign to freebsd-numerics@
> They are known to be working on it.

Hey numerics guys,

We do really seem to have a lot of working code right now.  And the main
barrier to commitment seems to be style issues.

For example, I have code at http://people.freebsd.org/~stephen/ for the
complex arctrig functions.  And Bruce has clog available.  And
presumably he has logl and atanl also available.

The last I heard about my code is Bruce asking for some style changes.
However I really don't think I will have time to work on it until at
least the summer.  And to be honest, style just isn't my thing.

I propose (a) that someone else takes over my code (and maybe Bruce's
code) and make the style changes, or (b) that we get a little less fussy
about getting it all just so right and start committing stuff.

Let me add that the code we have is already far superior than anything
in Linux or NetBSD, who clearly didn't worry about huge numerical errors
in many edge cases.  Come on guys, let's start strutting our stuff.

Let's commit what we have, even if it isn't perfect.

Thanks, Stephen