Date:      Tue, 3 Aug 1999 16:04:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        stanislav shalunov <shalunov@att.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: sgmlfmt: producing text files

On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, stanislav shalunov wrote:

> Question: What about producing LaTeX output?  I would very much prefer
> to have LaTeX formatting to the shitty paragraphs produced by groff
> (no offense to groff, but TeX paragraph formatting and hyphenation
> algorithms are just much better).

LaTeX was the original output for print but at one point the SGML
tools were included in FreeBSD and thus couldn't have any
outlandish dependencies like TeX.  During that conversion to
groff, I developed an intense dislike for groff and I hope never
to use it again.  Anyhow, if there are not lingering LaTeX
transpec files in the current sgmlformat package, I believe they
may exist in some earlier incarnations.  Alas, they are not quite
as featureful as the groff versions and the processing procedure
is a bit more awkward, but as you say, TeX is much better at
typesetting.

Generally, a better route is to convert from linuxdoc to docbook
and use jade plus Norm Walsh's DSSSL stylesheets for docbook.  If
you use the instant(1) program by hand, there should be a
transpec file that will do a quick-and-dirty linuxdoc to docbook
conversion.  It requires some manual cleanup but it does quite a
bit of the work.

> Seems like the script was last updated a lo-o-ong time ago, do you
> still support it?

Not if I can help it.  I pretty much do all my SGML formatting
with Jade and DSSSL stylesheets.  (And to be honest, I don't even
have a FreeBSD machine at the moment...my work is almost entirely
solaris and I've recently switched to solaris at home to make
life more consistent.)

-john