Date:      Sun, 4 Aug 1996 09:43:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Ken Marsh <durang@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Imake.tmpl missing during make for port

On Sun, 4 Aug 1996, Ken Marsh wrote:

> I'm trying to make xcdplayer2.2. I got the port and distfile from the
> CD-ROM. When I do the make, I get this:
>
> ===>  Configuring for xcdplayer-2.2
> mv -f Makefile Makefile.bak
> imake -DUseInstalled -I/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config
> Imakefile.c:3: Imake.tmpl: No such file or directory
> imake: Exit code 33.  Stop
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> etc.... So what is this Imake thing? I tried to make tetris and had a
> similar problem. I had no problem making Lynx, Kermit, gmake, or pine. I
> got gmake from the 2.0.5 CD-ROM, could this be the problem?
>
> thanks in advance,  Ken Marsh

Imake is a neat utility that comes with XF86Free/X11.  You can buy an
O'Reilly book on it.  It's been X11's chosen method of getting
portability, much as autoconf is GNU's method.  Personally, I like imake
better, but I think I'm in the minority somewhat on this.  The two methods
are wildy different and not compatible, really.  If you don't have a full
XF86 setup, you might not have all the stuff in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config,
which imake REALLY needs, and is specific to your setup.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |