Date:      Thu, 16 May 2002 07:16:50 -0500
From:      David Syphers <dsyphers@uchicago.edu>
To:        "Chris McCluskey" <chris@digitaldeck.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Patch/Announcement for DHCPD remote root hole?

On Wednesday 15 May 2002 10:29 pm, Chris McCluskey wrote:
> In this specific case I think all that is required is a simple front
> end to cvsup -- a kind-of "This package has been fixed for the
> following issues... Do you want to build it and install it now?" kind
> of thing.

After CVSuping, you can see which ports have changed with pkg_version -v |
'<'.  If you're curious what the update to the port was, you can head over
to http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ and find out.  Granted, this is not
quite as simple as a front end for CVSup, but it's not really that hard.

> But I think there is another issue here, which may be more to the
> point. The FreeBSD documentation is great, but I have yet to see
> perfect documentation. There are some small potholes in learning the
> cvsup tool, and there are no concrete examples to follow. For those
> that are good admins with tarballs and Makefiles, but are new to CVS
> this is a hard road. The handbook basically says -- we tend to use
> cvsup, cvsup uses CVS, these are the options, here's a template, now
> go! A step by step example would be great (saying things like "This is
> where you specify the release tag. Go to http://here for a list of
> valid tags.").

I know manpages are scary for newbies, but when I learned CVSup all I needed
was 'man cvsup' and the sample supfile.  YMMV, I suppose.

> 2) The convention for naming (and retrieving) certain releases is
> good. But a small blurb refreshing the user/admin as to what the
> options are would be good. In fact a page listing and annotating the
> different suffixes would be cool (does it exist already?!). It takes
> the "new user" a bit of time to understand the labels used, but that's
> part of the FreeBSD rite of passage. That said some clear references
> and reminders as to what exactly [example only] RELENG_4_5 is would be
> nice.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvs-tags.html is
the page after the CVSup page in the handbook.

> We can't write code for those that can't read, but for those that can
> read, let's give them enough text and examples so they can find out
> how good FreeBSD is -- and can be.

It sounds like you know what needs to be written - how about writing it up
and sending it to the doc people?  Docs are definitely an important
contribution.

-David
--
Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand...

Center for Cosmological Physics
The University of Chicago