Date:      Fri, 15 May 1998 21:51:57 -0700
From:      Joey Garcia <bear@pacificnet.net>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbies run riot at FreeBSD

Sue,

I've seen a couple good books on the shelves for newbies.  "Student Guide
to Unix" from Harley Hahn was pretty interesting.  It had commands for both
users and for root.  I have one of those "Dummies" guides books, but it's
just a command reference book which really helps when you're stuck and are
too lazy to read a man page.  It tells you stuff about commands (listed in
alphabetical order) and what command line options you can use.

For the really technical stuff (basically for the programmer) there's that
"Design and Implementation for BSD 4.4", but that's already been mentioned.
 Books on C programming and Perl programming are pretty good reading.
There was this book I found in the library that was about C programming but
explicitly for Unix systems.  It was really neat, but I forgot the name of
it.  I'll have to check it out and post it later.

Anyways, maybe you could add that Harley Hahn book to your list of books on
the web page.  I think it did talk about BSD systems a bit. If I see any
more books around, I'll let ya know. :)

Joey Garcia