Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2002 23:19:05 -0500
From:      "Dave" <dave@nexusinternetsolutions.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Server crash...  4.3 stable, no idea why...

Had a box die on us noon yesterday.  on hard reboot (after a drive to the
colofacility) box was complaining about all sorts of problems in the /usr
partition.  Since we had a backup of recent data, just clicked the default to
repair, fix, delete, whatever to all the various problems.  Systems rebooted
fine after that (few minor issues regarding postgres tmp files and such, but
other than that no apparent problems).

Am unable to get any clue as to what the problem was.

Box simply stopped responding to any WWW, FTP, SSH...  even ping.

all FTP accounts are chroot'ed, no telnet, just ssh, apache is reasonably
harddened as is PHP and other such utilities.

Have checked just about every log file in /var/log/ with a modification date of
the 14th (today) and do not see anything other than being able to narrow down
the exact time that the server went offline.  Nothing in httpd logs, messages,
any mail files (occasional nim attack, but that doesn't do anything)...

anywhere else that I am not looking that would shed some light on this.  Would
have to take the box down and rebuild the server from backup if the problem was
software related...  drawing a blank though.

comments, suggestions, ideas appreciated.

Dave