Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 2000 12:10:46 -0400
From:      "Clarence Brown" <clabrown@granitepost.com>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   4.1 lockup at isa0: on reboot

I'll apologize in advance if this is the wrong
list, but it seems like a question for hackers
to me, and the freebsd-questions list only had
one response verifying that someone else had the
same problem.

As an aside, I am an embedded system developer
doing PCB through firmware development, so with
your direction, I ought to be able to hack this
myself. The problem is repeatable making it easier
to find. I'll need direction configuring the
development/debug tools and environment because
I usually develop for the 8x52/251 microcontroller
family using DOS/windows based tools.

I just installed 4.1 from CD onto a machine that
had been running 3.4 without problems. The
machine is an old Gateway 486 DX/2 66 (Micronics
Local Bus motherboard) with an upgraded processor,
DVC Turbo 586 using an AMD AM5x68, and 64 Meg ram.

Problem: If I do a "shutdown -h now" and then press
any key to reboot, the system ALWAYS hangs after
displaying the line..

isa0: <ISA bus> on motherboard

This is repeatable,

Note: From a power up, or reset button the system
ALWAYS starts fine.

I don't know if this is related to the ISA bus
problem, I also had trouble during the install
with the SCSI probing, but never finishing when
the scsi adaptor on the soundblaster card was
enabled. SB16 SCSI w/ AIC6360 chip. This also
worked fine under 3.4. Since I don't currently
have any scsi devices connected I just deleted
it from the list during kernel config then the
install proceeded ok ... I'll tackle this later.

Is 4.1 known to have hardware problems like these?

I realize there is probably a shrinking base of
486 installs, which would reduce the urgency of
this problem in general, this is why I'm assuming
I'll probably get a quicker solution if I "volunteer"
to fix it. Others also have the problem on several
other 486 motherboards and the only solution they
found was to abandon 4.1 and revert to 3.5, see
the clipped response below which I got on the
freebsd-questions list.

> I had the same problem - with a few different
> 486 boards. Unfortunately, my only working
> solution was to revert back to 3.51

> The only way past this was to do a hard reset/cold
> boot ... not a pretty option when this was a
> customer's remote gateway machine.

> ... Jamie

Cla.