Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 2000 09:46:18 -0400
From:      "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        geoff@aims.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using ICQ..

Geoff Cooper wrote:

> I can see that there are various ICQ programs available in the ports tree,
> and I've used a few. Could anyone suggest which is better, and why?
> GnomeICU doesn't seem to send half the messages (even though it says it
> does),
> and ICQNIX likes to crash.

I use licq, and it is pretty good.  The previous version (0.82) had a
much nicer interface than the current version (0.85), but that is all
IMHO.  Also, when you are talking directly to other licq clients, licq
will encrypt your traffic (something the Windows ICQ client cannot do).

licq isn't the most stable program in the world, I've still managed to
crash it a couple of times, but it is one of the most stable ICQ
clients, and one of the most fully featured.

--
  / \/ \  | ||_ _||  _ \|___| | Jason Andresen -- jandrese@mitre.org