Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2000 15:46:41 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, keramida@ceid.upatras.gr
Subject:   Re: Detecting when your parent process dies.

Giorgos Keramidas <charon@hades.hell.gr> wrote in list.freebsd-questions:
 > On Thu, Jan 20, 2000 at 08:45:16AM +1000, Colin Campbell wrote:
 >>
 >> What about "polling" using getppid(). If the parent dies, the PPID
 >> will change (to 1?), will it not?
 >
 > Yes, if the parent catches SIGCHLD, I think that this is the rule.  But
 > it's still polling...

It doesn't matter if the parent catches SIGCHLD.  When it dies,
the orphaned process is picked up by init (PID 1), no matter
what.

But you're right:  it's still polling...

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)