Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2003 19:54:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Paolo M <fabrica64@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BIND stange behavior

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Paolo M wrote:

> Hi Everybody,
>
> I am using a FreeBSD 4.7p7 box as the gateway to the
> Internet in my home.
>
> I saw a very starnge behavior accessing mail.yahoo.com
> from a connected Apple MacOS (but also from any other
> PC), the first attempt to resolve the names replies an
> error. If I repeat the request everything is fine. If
> I wait some minutes all the sequence repeats...

Are you blocking TCP for your name server by chance, or are you behind a
PIX firewall? The answer for mail.yahoo.com is sometimes larger than a UDP
packet can handle, so your resolver is either retrying with TCP, and/or
it's negotiating a UDP packet size larger than PIX firewalls can
understand.

Doug