Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2002 22:18:00 -0600
From:      "Chris" <intertek@midsouth.rr.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD Install Difficulties

Hello.  I'm fairly new to the whole Unix based OS thing as I've been a
Microsoft customer for some time.  Recently I've purchased a version of the
FreeBSD Powerpak 4.4 from Wind River Systems, Inc.  When I go to install it,
everything goes nicely right until after I attempt to actually install it to
my disk.  I've purchased a new 20gig Maxtor harddrive to devote to the
system and use for C/C++ development and all that goodness.  My problem is
that after I've created the labels and everything as in the book included
with the powerpak, I get a small error saying that the CD in the drive
contains a version of freebsd that preceeds 3.25(or 3.something) and asks if
i wish to proceed.  I opt for yes (despite the fact that it does say on the
box that it is version 4.4) and continue.  It starts and then hovers on what
appears to the be the first step.  Then I get an error saying that it is
"Unable to transfer **** from acd0c"  and then asks if i want to try again.
I opt to try again and still nothing.  I eventually click not to try again
and it does that for everything that tries to install.  Any help??  I'd
really like to use FreeBSD.

-Chris

My Computer Specs:

1.5gHtz P 4
256meg RAM
40Gig HDD (C:/) -- Win XP installed on it, not using it for FreeBSD
20gig HDD (F:/) -- The HD I'm using, or going to use, for FreeBSD
NVIDIA GE 2 Graphics Card
SoundBlaster Value Sound card
DVD-ROM (D:/) -- Been using it to install
CD-RW  (E:/)
---