Date:      Mon, 19 Mar 2001 10:54:30 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        andre@netvision.com.br, fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Truncating a file.

Terry Lambert wrote:
> >   With ftruncate, you can remove part of the end of a file. Is there a way
> > remove part of the beginning of a file?
> >   I'm developing a SOCKS5 server that stores the data received from the fir
    st
> > connection to a local file, and when the second connection is writable, rea
> > that file and write the data to this second connection. As data is read fro
> > the local file, its beginning becomes useless, so I'd like to truncate it
> > out. Is it possible?
>
> FreeBSD doesn't support the defacto industry standard F_FREESP
> fcntl(2) command argument (which would free the area referred
> to by the contents of a flock structure).

F_FREESP is not truncating.  It just makes a hole.  Truncating from the
beginning means to take a 10MB file, truncate the first 1MB off the
beginning and be left with a 9MB file..

VIVAFS implements this, but it was based on 4.3-net2 and BSD/OS 2.x and
was considered "tainted" pending a reimplementation.

Cheers,
-Peter