Date:      Tue, 07 Oct 2003 00:36:30 +0200
From:      "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
To:        Mark Valentine <mark@valentine.me.uk>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Subject:   Re: Alignment of disk-I/O from userland.

In message <200310062220.h96MK7PI061345@dotar.thuvia.org>, Mark Valentine write
s:

>It would be reasonable to enforce such restrictions on a raw device if
>we still had block devices around, but it doesn't seem reasonable now.

It would be reasonable to make such a statement if you could
demonstrate an actual application which must depend on this to work.

The fact is that we currently do not offer any guarantee for disk-I/O
even correctly reporting failure, unless your memory buffer is
aligned according to driver specific requirements.

And yet things still work.

If I thought there would be any significant breakage (of non-shitty
code), I would not be in doubt as to what the right thing to do
would be :-)

If shitty code breaks, I don't care.  We're trying to raise the
standard in and with FreeBSD, we're not trying to lower the bar
to make any visual basic programmer pass.