Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 2002 10:22:34 +0530
From:      "Sanjay Bhattacharya" <sanbh@gmx.net>
To:        "William Palfreman" <william@palfreman.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Delete Key

William,

  You are extremely right. I tried man readline and then I created
~/.inputrc containing the lines "\e[3~": delete-char   , but nothing
happened. And as you said,  man stty doesn't throw any pointers to get rid
of the problem either. I tried to do stty erase '^?' and stty erase '^D'
but no luck out there as well. I tried a lot of hours yesterday to make the
damned DEL key work but nothing. It seems bash won't let me handle the DEL
key at all. I managed it in tcsh though by using bindkey "^?" delete-char as
pointed to by one of our friends. But why wouldn't bash let me do it. All I
want is to map ^D action to the DEL key and ^H action to the backspace key.
I guess bash is surely powerful enough to cater to simple needs like that.

Regards,
Sanjay

> I can't belive there is no way of setting this.  Or if there is the
documentation isn't throwing itself at me.