Date:      Tue, 16 Dec 2014 14:02:10 +0100 (CET)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Trond_Endrest=F8l?= <Trond.Endrestol@fagskolen.gjovik.no>
To:        Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl>
Cc:        "ports@freebsd.org" <stable@freebsd.org>, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: I do not quite understand why a BIND upgrade needs to touch soo much.

On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 23:10+0100, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:

> On 15-12-2014 22:26, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 4:20 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> That first one is the key. Bind depends on gettext --- as does pretty much
> >> every other package in existence --- and gettext underwent a massive
> >> breaking change, which is kinda deranging everything else. The recent
> >> /usr/ports/UPDATING entry for gettext has the gory details.
> >>

> > To explain a bit further: this time, your portupgrade would do a lot of
> > extra work as well. bind is not self-contained; it has dependencies, some
> > of which are shared by other packages. If you want your bind update to be
> > self-contained then you'll need to make your own port and package from it
> > containing its own gettext, so you can upgrade that one package without
> > breaking every other package that depends on gettext. Otherwise, you just
> > have to accept that a package other than bind, which bind and just about
> > everything else depends on, *also* changed; and you can't just upgrade bind
> > without upgrading gettext *and* either upgrading or removing the other
> > packages that depend on the old gettext.
>
> Yup, more than true in the ultimate case.
> Although 'portupgrade bind99' in this case did not require any other
> packages to be upgraded too.
>
> I've been hesitant in upgrading other packages with less security
> pressure, because of the huge list with extra's.

> And you are right, this change in gettext is going to bite at some
> point. (besides from building things with static linked libs.)

While YMMV, I use portupgrade and not pkg, and upgrading gettext was
pretty much less painful than indicated by the UPDATING entry.

Simply run:

portupgrade -fpvo devel/gettext-runtime gettext
cd /usr/ports/devel/gettext-tools && make && make install && make package && make clean
cd /usr/ports/devel/gettext && make && make install && make package && make clean
portupgrade -fprvx gettext -x gettext-runtime -x gettext-tools devel/gettext-runtime

--
| Vennlig hilsen,               | Best regards,                      |