Date:      Fri, 01 Jun 2001 07:54:17 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Raymond Brighenti <bargi@webfront.net.au>
Subject:   Re: Hints and tips for upgrading from 3.2 to latest release

On 01-Jun-01 Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 11:46:58AM +1000, Raymond Brighenti wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We're going to be attempting to upgrade our mail server running Sendmail
>> and Qpopper to the latest release of FreeBSD
>>
>> Apart from back everything up :) does anyone have any hints or tips or
>> gotcha's in attempting this?
>
> Don't bother trying to upgrade by recompiling source, it's much more
> trouble than it's worth.  Just do a binary upgrade and it should all
> just work.  You'll want to install the /usr/src/etc/ sources and use
> mergemaster(8) to complete your upgrade by updating /etc.
>
> Kris

I have to second this! After failing source upgrade a couple of times I
burned a 4.2 CD and did the binary upgrade. It worked very flawlessly. I have in
the past managed to corrupt machines with the binary upgrade (back in the 2.2
days), but this was the most hasslefree upgrade I have ever seen. The snag in
my case was to get XFree-4 working, but you may not have to - I had a i815
graphics controller onboard which I desperately wanted to get running.

/micke