Date:      Tue, 03 Dec 1996 09:52:24 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Edward Zhuang <Edward.Zhuang@Xavier.vic.edu.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 2 HDDs

Edward Zhuang wrote:

> I have 2 harddisks on my PC running MS-DOS and Windows 3.11. I would
> like to install freeBSD onto one of 2 HDDs. Could you please help me how
> to do that.
> Please send e-mail to edward.zhuang@xavier.vic.edu.au
> Thanx a lot.

If you have unpartitioned space on your hard disks, then you can simply
install FreeBSD there. Just read the installation instruction on
www.freebsd.org and follow the instructions. If you don't have free space
you may want to look in the fips utility that comes with FreeBSD, or at
the comercial software package ParitionMagic (http://www.powerquest.com).
Both let you shrink a FAT partition to create unpartitioned space.

If your disks are (E)IDE then there are some other points to consider:

1. Most machines would require the root partition to go below the 504MB
mark on the disk. This is not a major problem because the root partition
can be fairly small (~20MB will suffice for most installations).

2. If you have an ATAPI (IDE) CDROM you may have to move it around to get
it to work. The configuration that works best *most* of the time is:

Primary Controller:
   HDD as Master, CD as Slave
Secondary Controller:
   Second HD

If you have that configuration you may find it easier to install at least
the root partition on the first HD. It can be installed on the second
disk, but it will require something like 1:wd(2,a)/kernel at the boot
prompt and/or a kernel rebuild.

Good Luck
Nadav