Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2001 17:18:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Eric Boucher <eric_boucher60@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   TCL: getting the PID of the current process

Hi everyone,

I want to get the pid of a process in TCL script. What
I want to do is to get all the pids of a certain user
for example with the command "ps -waux" and let's say
I want to kill some. But to do this, I include the
following line:

set pids [exec ps -waux | grep -i user | cut -c9-19]

After, I put it in a list and I want to delete the
process that lauch it (so the "ps" command) because
everybody knows that when you grep a "ps" command, you
always get the pid of the command itself. But if I
know the pid of the "ps -waux | grep ..." command, I
can delete it from my list. So is there a way to catch
the PID of the command you just lauched? In the man of
Tcl, it seems that the "pid" command is only used for
opening a file. If somebody knows it, can you include
a short example please?

P.S. If somebody knows a mailing list where I can ask
question like you guys at FreeBSD or a newsgroup about
TCL/TK, it will be appreciated too.

Thanks a lot

Eric