Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2001 01:02:30 +0000
From:      David Dooley <dpd@raffles-it.com>
To:        Gareth Williams <gareth@venditor.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wireless Networking

Gareth,

I have an Orinoco RG and am using a Orinoco Gold Card. To get it all to work I
turned off DHCP on the  RG and basically set it up as a bridge to my lan. I
all ready had a DHCP server on the LAN and the RG defaults to serveing
10.0.0.0 net work addresses. This step had to be done via the windows client
software supplied.

Once the RG was configured I set up the cd in my laptop by taking a copy of
/etc/defaults/pccardd.conf and putting it in /etc. I then hacked it untill it
just had a section for the Orinoco card and added varius wicontrol commands to
configured it to use the default encryption provided. The network ID is the on
the  spine of the RG under the cover and the encryption key is the last 5
digits of the same ID. I spent a lot of time getting evry thing working with
windows on the laptop trying to talk to my freeBSD box once I had all that
working I started playing with wicontrol and fond that the parameters below
worked for me.

I belive now that this way of doing the configuration may not have been the
best. It certinly works for me but I belive that these wicontrol commands
should now go in /etc/start_if.wi0, I havnen't spent much more time looking in
to this way of doing things as I am about to embark on a complete rebuild of
the laptop and will play with it then.

But for what it's worth here is my config from /etc/pccardd.conf and the
relevent sections of /etc/rc.conf

pccardd.conf
------------
# Lucent WaveLAN/IEEE
card "Lucent Technologies" "WaveLAN/IEEE"
	config	0x1 "wi" ?
	insert	/usr/sbin/wicontrol -i $device -s ANY
	insert	/usr/sbin/wicontrol -i $device -n <6 digits> 	# Network ID
	insert	/usr/sbin/wicontrol -i $device -k <last 5 digits from 6 above> -v 1	#
Encrypt Key
	insert	/usr/sbin/wicontrol -i $device -T 1
	insert	/usr/sbin/wicontrol -i $device -e 1
	insert	/usr/sbin/wicontrol -i $device -p 1
	insert	/etc/pccard_ether $device start
	remove	/etc/pccard_ether $device stop

rc.conf
-------