Date:      Thu, 19 May 2005 11:42:03 -0500
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Bill Schoolcraft <runfreebsd@yahoo.com>
Cc:        bsd <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Determining integrated sound card(?)

<Sorry, Bill, if you get this 2x ... forgot to cc the list...>

Bill Schoolcraft wrote:

>Hello Family,
>
>I just got a new box and I'm running 5.4 and it has a generic
>"PC_Chips" M863G motherboard and all I get from dmesg is:
>
>pci0: <multimedia, audio> at device 2.7 (no driver attached)
>
>I was wondering how to make an educated guess on what driver to try and
>
>load first?

Basically:

 > echo "snd_driver_load="YES" >> /boot/loader.conf"

 > shutdown -r now

This will load all sound drivers on boot, and you'll get
to find out if yours is supported/recognized or not.  See
snd(4).

Or, without rebooting, you might just try to kldload the
sound.ko module ... but I'm not sure what magic you'd
have to do then for testing ...

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey