Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 21:08:57 +0100 (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Westeurop=E4ische_Normalzeit?=)
From:      Lukas Ertl <l.ertl@univie.ac.at>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   ciss driver and tagged queuing

Hi,

I hope this is the correct list to ask this:

I have a brand new Compaq Proliant box here, which has a Smart Array 5302
controller (ciss driver). I did some performance testing on it (with
bonnie++), but I wasn't quite satisfied, the throughput on the Smart Array
is rather low. So I thought I have a look with camcontrol on it:

[root@raidtest /home/le]# camcontrol negotiate da1 -T enable
Current Parameters:
(pass1:ciss1:0:0:0): disconnection is enabled
camcontrol: XPT_SET_TRANS_SETTINGS CCB failed, status 0x6
[root@raidtest /home/le]# camcontrol negotiate da1 -v
Current Parameters:
(pass1:ciss1:0:0:0): disconnection is enabled
ciss1: SIM/HBA version: 1
ciss1: supports tag queue messages
ciss1: HBA engine count: 0
ciss1: maximum target: 15
ciss1: maximum LUN: 0
ciss1: highest path ID in subsystem: 0
ciss1: initiator ID: 15
ciss1: SIM vendor: FreeBSD
ciss1: HBA vendor: msmith@freebsd.ociss
ciss1: bus ID: 0
ciss1: base transfer speed: 135.168MB/sec

I guess this means that the device is able to do tagged queueing, but the
feature is currently turned off. So I tried to enable it and I get this
error message:

[root@raidtest /home/le]# camcontrol negotiate da1 -T enable
Current Parameters:
(pass1:ciss1:0:0:0): disconnection is enabled
camcontrol: XPT_SET_TRANS_SETTINGS CCB failed, status 0x6

Can anyone tell me what this means? Is the driver lying to me about tagged
queueing?

Apart from that: the ciss driver is fairly new AFAIK, I didn't find a lot
of references to it on the web. Would you recommend it for production use?
Is there any testing going for userland tools (status control a.s.o.)?

best regards,
le

--=20
Lukas Ertl                              eMail: l.ertl@univie.ac.at
UNIX-Systemadministrator                Tel.:  (+43 1) 4277-14073
Zentraler Informatikdienst (ZID)        Fax.:  (+43 1) 4277-9140
der Universit=E4t Wien                    http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~le/