Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 21:59:03 +0200
From:      ABDALLAH Faycal <faycal.abdallah@cegetel.fr>
To:        "'Lauri Watts'" <lauri@kde.org>, Faissal ABDALLAH <abdallah.faissal@wanadoo.fr>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: kde 3.0 wo'nt start on FreeBSD 4.5

-----Message d'origine-----
De: Lauri Watts [mailto:lauri@kde.org]
Date: jeudi 20 juin 2002 21:43
=C0: Faissal ABDALLAH
Cc: questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Objet: Re: kde 3.0 wo'nt start on FreeBSD 4.5

On Thursday 20 June 2002 21.47, Faissal ABDALLAH wrote:
> Hi list,
> I'm actually trying to intall KDE 3.0 from source packages on a =
FreeBSD
4.5
> machine.... i followed the instructions word by word lettre by lettre =
and
> after lots and lots of problems and incompatibility i managed to =
install
> the qt 3.0.4 and the autoconf etc... and all necessary packages for =
the
KDE

>It's quite clear you didn't follow the FreeBSD instructions, >because =
Qt
3.0.4=20
>is not in the ports (and that is for a reason - it has >issues.)

	i installed the QT 3.0.4 from source files and it didn't compile
well with=20
	make but the compilation completed with gmake

>I suggest you uninstall all that you have below, put the source =
tarballs
you=20
>have collected into /usr/ports/distfiles/KDE (so that the ports can =
find=20
>them), and then install the kde ports themselves.
=09
	i'm a little bit confused, i put the KDE sources packages in
/usr/local/distfiles/kde
	and then update my ports collection??

>If you have sufficient bandwidth, you can use the packages (I'm not =
sure
they=20
>are ready yet on the FreeBSD ftp servers, but you can find a set of
packages=20
>and the instructions at http://freebsd.kde.org.)

>The ports exist for a reason - among other things, they have patches =
make=20
>applications conform to FreeBSD's file system organization, to adjust =
the=20
>environment, and are a configuration we know to work on the majority =
of=20
>systems.  It's very difficult to support self-compilation, because =
there is

>just too much in your environment and in your compilation options that
could=20
>be affecting this.

>- From a look at your log, it seems KDE starts up correctly, and then =
some
of=20
>the applications hit an issue with threads.  I suggest you see if the
problem=20
>persists with an installation from the ports, but I suspect it won't, =
they=20
>have been heavily tested, and I've never seen your particular error =
before.
=09
	don't you think it's the same error that happened with the kde 2.2.2
ports
	about a "DCOP server not running" thing??=20