Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 2002 19:41:26 -0400
From:      Alan McKay <amckay@neap.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   help with webcam through natd + ipfw

Folks,

I've done port-forwarding before on several different FW/NAT
devices, but damned if I can get it going on FreeBSD.  At first
I tried with PPP's builtin NAT, and when that failed I switched
to natd.  I did google searches and even searched the FreeBSD
list archives but did not find any help.

/etc/natd.conf looks like this (private IP removed) :

interface tun0
port 8668
use_sockets yes
dynamic yes
redirect_port tcp <MY_PRIVATE_IP>:8080 8080

/etc/rc.conf has this :

firewall_type="SIMPLE"
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_script="/etc/rc.firewall"
firewall_quiet="NO"
natd_enable="YES"
natd_program="/sbin/natd"
natd_interface="tun0"
natd_flags="-f /etc/natd.conf"

My firewall does not have much changed from the SIMPLE template.
I allow a few incoming connections including ports 80, 443, 53,
110 and the port I want to foward back to my webcam : 8080.

nat itself works fine (machines behind the FW can surf and such)
but the port forwarding is not working.  I tried adding a rule
50 to allow everything on the ipfw, and that didn't work.  Then
I thought maybe the 'allow all' should do right after the divert
to natd so I deleted 50 and added the add all rule right after
divert.

Still nothing!

I'm testing by VPN'ing into work, VNC'ing into my desktop,
and trying to connect back from there.

Help!  What's up?

Oh, FreeBSD 4.5 release (stable, whatever it's called, I
don't much around with beta stuff)

cheers,
-Alan

--