Date:      Mon, 30 Dec 1996 21:39:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        bsletten@charon.prawdc.com, ponds!freebsd.org!freebsd-questions
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on Notebooks

> Hi, folks.
>
> I've been out of the FreeBSD loop for a while and would like to find out
> how 2.1.6 does on notebook computers. I tried a quick search of the
> archives and couldn't really come up with anything that spoke about it.
>
> Have many people successfully installed FreeBSD on notebook computers?
> If so, do they have to be pretty standard machines (ThinkPad, WinBook,
> etc)? I've got a reasonably new "generic" notebook at my disposal to
> install FreeBSD onto. If I can, I would like to.

Brian -

 Just a data-point for you (well, two actually) - I've got FreeBSD 2.1.6
installed on (a now ancient) CompuAdd 325tx (386sx-25 w/120meg HD, 8meg RAM)
and 2.1.5 an Acer Note 75 (Pentium 75 w/810meg HD, 8 meg RAM PS/2 mouse)  Both
of these run X11, etc...

 I've not sucessfully gotten my no-name PCMCIA ne2000 clone ethernet card
to work yet - I'm waiting on 2.2 to dive into that again.

 FreeBSD should work fine on your WinBook...  I believe there are some
keyboard issues with the ThinkPad and you may have to have a new kernel...

	- Dave Rivers -