Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 2000 21:23:51 -0600
From:      "Chris Mutchler" <davron@leibnizceations.com>
To:        <kyle@midnighttech.com>
Cc:        "general fbsd" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Setting up sendmail

If you don't have the following ruleset in your sendmail.cf file, I suggest
adding it.  It will prevent spammers from being able to use your server as a
relay:

#####################################
#  Rulset 3 - Find address portion  #
#####################################
S3

R$@                     $@ <@>                  Null address special
R$*<>$*                 $@ <@>                  Null address special
R$*<$+>$*               $2                      Get address portion
#Uncomment the following lines to support fancy routing (with :,%)
#R@$+,$+                        $@$>93<@$1>,$2          Routes with ','...
#R@$+:$+                        $@$>93<@$1>:$2          ...or with ':'
#R$+@$+@$+              $1%$2@$3                All but right @ to %...
#R$+@$+                 $@$>93$1<@$2>           ...then accept @ addresses
#R$+%$+                 $1@$2                   Convert all % to @...
#R$+@$+@$+              $1%$2@$3                ...all but right @ back to
%...
R$+@$+                  $@$>93$1<@$2>           ...accept new @ addresses

This will prevent spammers from being able to use the &,%, and other various
symbols they use to inflitrate sendmail servers.

Chris Mutchler
Systems Administrator
davron@leibnizcreations.com