Date:      13 Jul 2003 21:25:40 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
To:        "Adam King" <aking@lgh.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie install error mounting /dev/acd0 on /dist

"Adam King" <aking@lgh.com.au> writes:

> Version number is 5.1. I am using an older computer, a Dell OptiPlex GX1100
> (Approx 3 years old), someone else replied saying that they had the same
> problem with 5.1 on older hardware.

Hmm.  Please remember that 5.1 is intended for "early adopters", and
you're generally expected to help solve any problems that you run
into.  In this case, though, there is enough ongoing work on the ATAPI
code that I suspect the experts would ask you to update to the latest
-CURRENT and see if your system works better there.

Personally, I wouldn't consider that machine particularly old, but the
issue might be just how standards-compliant your CD-ROM drive and ATA
controller are.