Date:      Sat, 15 Aug 1998 19:04:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      djv@bedford.net
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disk confusion (fwd)

djv@bedford.net wrote
Subject: Re: disk confusion
To: sue@welearn.com.au (Sue Blake)
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 19:00:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: djv@bedford.net

> > > Yes it booted fine as sd0 before I plugged the first SCSI disk back in.
> >
> > Right, sd0...  Repeat last comment, s/bet/really bet/
> >
> > At this point, I would boot FreeBSD from any but the sd1 system;
> > I would fsck the sd1s1X partitions.
> >
> > Then I would mount the sd1s1a on /mnt, and poke around in
> > /mnt/etc, looking for sd0 [fstab :) ] where it should be sd1.

cd /mnt/dev
sh MAKEDEV sd1s1a

That should make sd1s1[a-h], and also the r... ones.
Do thou likewise for sd1s2, blah blah, if needed.

then cd /dev  and do it again.

> I don't suppose I can make the right devices on sd1 by mounting the
> drive after booting from sd0, can I? (If so you'd better give me the
> MAKEDEV incantation too so I can't screw that up)

sure, as just given.  mknod (what MAKEDEV does), is a very simple
deal -- it just creates a file, marks it as a block or char device,
and stuffs the appropriate major and minor device id's in its inode.

What you see with ls -l /dev/sd1s1a   is /all/ there is.
The business parts are b or c, and the device numbers. They're
used to call the kernel  "open block device 3 minor device 4"

Dave
--
"Today, machines sit on our desks and spend the overwhelming majority
of their cycles doing nothing more important than blinking a cursor."