Date:      Sat, 18 May 2002 09:35:35 -0700
From:      "Kevin G. Eliuk" <kg@dccnet.com>
To:        sroberts@dsl.pipex.com
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Upgrade XFree86-3.3.6? to XFree86-4.X

S. Roberts wrote:
> Hi,
>   I have XFree86-3.3.6 installed on my system. After posting questions
> about my colour / graphics problems with a new monitor, numerous
> respondents advised me to upgrade to XFree86-4.0.2.
>
> Simple question here is, how do I upgrade to XFree86-4.0.2? Please bear
> with me here - yes I've read the handbook, yes, I've read The Complete
> FreeBSD, there's nowhere is either of the two that addresses upgrading
> from a previous XFree86-3.3.6 to a later version.
>
> The handbook mentions installing a later version after completing the
> base installation and then proceeding to install the newer version via
> the ports .., that's it. Nothing about what happens to the original
> files, or what to do before attempting the install. The XFree86 site
> doesn't mention any procedures for doing either.

When upgrading here are the the things that I consider.

Was the installation of XFree86-3.3.6 installed as a package or as a distro?
         a) As a package the installation can rely on the packages
            database(/var/db/pkg) (you can simply use pkg_delete
            to uninstall the old version)
         b) As a distro the you have no handy reference to what
            files/libraries/binaries are part of the original
            installation. (This will change with 4.6 RELEASE as
            XFree86-4 will be installed as a package and not a
            distro when chosen from sysinstall, as I understand
            the testing notes)

As my situation was b) I chose to

1)Remove all installed packages.
2)rm -rf /usr/X11R6/*
3)Add "XFREE86_VERSION=4" to /etc/make.conf
4)Install XFree86-4 from the ports
5)Reinstall required ports making portupgrade one of the first to
install for easier management.

> I'm not hoping to make a big deal out of this, so I'd just like to find
> out if this procedure is documented anywhere, and where it might be.

None that I could find either.

Hope this helps.