Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 22:58:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Chuck Rouillard <chuckr@opus.sandiegoca.ncr.com>
To:        "David L. Hays, Jr." <elfkinz@elfland.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problem with sound card and lpt port on non-standard IRQs

On Thu, 31 May 2001, David L. Hays, Jr. wrote:

> My SoundBlaster 16 (CT2230) is set to use IRQ7 (not the default).  The IRQ
> is not set by a jumper on the hardware, so I have no idea how to change
> it back to th e default.  I have had no problems with the sound card until
> recently when I dec ided to hook a printer up the the machine.

Try the DOS-based configuration/diagnostic tools on
Creative's web site. They're located a few links off
from here: http://www.creative.com/support/, then
look under "Download Files".

> The LPT port has been disabled in BIOS until now.  In the BIOS I set the
> printer up on IRQ5 so it wouldn't be in conflict with the sound card.  I also
> made the appropriate adjustments in the kernel config file (see below).
> I thought that t his was all I would need to do, but after rebuilding the
> kernel with the parelle l port enabled I have no sound (dmesg output is
> below).
>
> I would like to get both the printer and soundcard working by either a)
> finding what else needs to be adjusted with the kernel config file (or if
> there are any other files that need to be edited), or b) get the soundcard
> reset to it's defau lt IRQ (5 I think).

I would choose option b) first. Mitigate your changes
where possible.

> I have searched through Creative Lab's web page for any utilities for
> changing t he IRQ of the sound card, but have not found anything, so I
> think that option "a" might be the easier of the two.
>
> -----
> Kernel Config file:
> # Parallel port
> device         ppc0    at isa? port? irq 5 drq 3
> device         ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)
> device         lpt             # Printer

Why do you have a DMA request value for a parallel port device?