Date:      Fri, 27 Feb 1998 07:49:50 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Scot Elliott <scot@poptart.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.6 for NFS server

On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:

> I have a 905 too, but I only use it in 10 Mbps mode.  IIRC, it only has 4k
> cache, split between transmit and recieve, so when there's heavy traffic,
> it goes nuts and drags the system down with it.
> Blame 3Com, not the OS.

Hmm... well I've always avoided 3com cards in FreeBSD because of the
rather discouraging comments in LINT:

# el: 3Com 3C501 (slow!)
# ep: 3Com 3C509 (buggy)

Does anyone know if this is still true - or do these actually work OK?
I'm not convinced you can say it's the card's fault that the machine comes
down when the network is under heavy load.  Even if the OS spits
loads of errors about the card, there's obviously a buggy driver if the
kernel crashes.

Scot.

Scot Elliott (scot@poptart.org)			|    Work: +44 (0)1344 899401
PGP fingerprint: FCAE9ED3A234FEB59F8C7F9DDD112D |    Home: +44 (0)181 8961019