Date:      Thu, 05 Nov 2009 10:01:40 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        rihad <rihad@mail.ru>
Cc:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: forcing ports to use Perl 5.8.8

--------------enig9EA38A0C66816F2C33B0DC4B

rihad wrote:
>> Matthew Seaman wrote:

>>> Basically, just don't upgrade perl.  The various perl modules will=20
>>> adapt to
>>> whatever version is installed. If you use portupgrade(1) et al, add=20
>>> 'perl-*' to the HOLD_PKGS array in /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf. If=20
>>> you use portmaster(1), create a file
>>> +IGNOREME in /var/db/pkg/perl-5.8.8/

> Yes, I'm using portmaster. Should /var/db/pkg/perl-5.8.8_1/+IGNOREME=20
> be an empty file?

Yes.

> portmaster manual says:
>      /var/db/pkg/*/+IGNOREME
>            If this file exists, several things will happen:
>=20
>            1. The port will be ignored for all purposes, including
>                dependency updates, if there is no directory for it in
>                /usr/ports, and there is no entry for it in=20
> /usr/ports/MOVED.
>=20
> I don't understand the if part. There _is_ a directory for lang/perl5.8=
=20
> in ports, so the port _won't_ be ignored?

I don't understand it either.  Perhaps that should read "... dependency
updates, *as* if there is no directory for it in..."?  Otherwise that=20
bit of text effectively says that +IGNOREME has no effect for ports that
either exist currently in the ports tree, or that used to and that have a=
entry in MOVED.  Which would make +IGNOREME pretty useless most of the
time.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20