Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2011 17:14:48 -0500
From:      Brian McCann <bjmccann@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   gif & bridge / ip over ip bridging tunnel

Hi all.  I've been trying to make this work and keep failing.  I'm
hoping someone smarter then me has some ideas.

My end goal is to bridge (not route) a few remote networks to a main
site.  For example

10.0.0.0/24 ---> FreeBSD box ---> Internet <--- FreeBSD box <---10.0.0.0/24
                                                       ^

                                                 FreeBSD (main site)

                                                10.0.0.0/24

Eventually there's going to be multiple subnets i'd like to "share",
for example have 10.0.0.0/24 and 10.1.0.0/24 at all three "sites".

Right now I'm trying just between two boxes on my desk.  I got a gif
tunnel between the two boxes up and running and can ping between the
IPs on the gif interfaces, but when I add gif0 to bridge0, pinging
doesn't work anymore.  tcpdump sees packets flowing on the gre
interface (of the ping target), but the packets aren't detected as
ICMP so they are getting mangled somehow.  I tried gre initially, but
discovered I cannot put a gre interface into a bridge.  (ps, I'm
trying to bridge to a vlan interface)

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks!
--Brian