Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 13:09:14 +0530
From:      "Gautham Ganapathy" <gautham.ganapathy@wipro.com>
To:        "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions @ FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Slow Installation

--------------InterScan_NT_MIME_Boundary

hi

i don't think it is a cd-drive problem. i have installed nt,98,linux from
it. generally takes 20 minutes for nt and linux and around 30 for 98. the
linux installation is around 1.3 GB compared to the base FreeBSD
installation of 300 MB. the drive generally gives me consistently good
performance.

i have also had a similar problem with x. it would give an error installing
X. i would give click ok. when it gave an option to abort or continue,
select continue. ot would go ahead and install other packages. when it
reached a package which had X as a dependency, it would successfully install
X. strange.

one thing is that when booting, freebsd gives an error that ata2-slave,
ata3master and ata3-slave timed out. this is probably due to the onboard
promise ata-100 controller in addition to the ata-66 that i normally use. I
have disabled this in the bios. will this controller give a problem ?

any ideas ?