Date:      Thu, 6 Dec 2001 08:20:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>
To:        johnhoover@home.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newsyslog - backup logfile question

In local.freebsd.questions you write:

>ok, this is a little off (but at least near) topic,

>has anyone considered using "logrotate" from the Linux world.
>It allows for a pre and post section for commands to handle most
>of what I think is being considered here.

newsyslog(8) rotates logs.  What else would you like it to do?

>and something else that has struck me as odd, (coming from a Linux world)
>why is there not a consistent centralized log rotating function within
>FreeBSD?
>question comes from finding "*.old", "*.yesterday", "*.1" log files.

There is.  man newsyslog, more /etc/newsyslog.conf

The ".today" and ".yesterday" files are not rotated log files per se,
they represent "state" used by some scripts run daily, to catch
changes during the last 24hrs.

Don't have any ".old" on any of my boxes.

  $.02,
  /Mikko

--
 Mikko Työläjärvi_______________________________________mikko@rsasecurity.com